- After spending a month in Indochina, I arrived in Singapore to attend a photography workshop.I enjoyed a private one on one with John; 3 1/2 hour morning in Little India and 3 1/2 hour late afternoon in Chinatown. At each location, we worked on specific techniques using the wonderful colors, activity, architecture and scenery. John was extremely patient in explaining how to achieve the desired result. We practiced until … Continue reading After spending a month in Indochina, I arrived in Singapore to attend a photography workshop.
- Copying 35 mm film into high quality digital imageI shot twenty years of films before going to a digital camera in 2000. I have many boxes of slides and photos in shoeboxes that never get seen. I used a scanner to scan my images before importing them to the Adobe Lightroom library. But the scanner is slow and cannot run with the new … Continue reading Copying 35 mm film into high quality digital image
- Buffy Fish-owl Took Flight in Broad Daylight,Buffy Fish-owl took flight in broad daylight at Hampstead Wetland Park Singapore. This morning, I went to the nursery to get some plants and soils. I stopped by Hampstead Wetland Park. While shooting the Blue-tailed Bee-eaters, a Buffy Fish-Owl flew out unexpectedly from the bush in broad daylight. Buffy Fish-owl took flight in broad daylight … Continue reading Buffy Fish-owl Took Flight in Broad Daylight,
- ISO 12,800, 1/60 second, Handheld with 100-400mm lensIt was 6 pm last night in the mangrove walk at Pasir Ris Park Singapore. The light was fading as I was trying my luck to find the mangrove pitta during low tide. I saw a dark object moving in the undergrowth the size of a pitta. It disappeared before I could even locate it. … Continue reading ISO 12,800, 1/60 second, Handheld with 100-400mm lens
- Smartphone and iPhone photography good enough | 2 day photography Workshop SingaporeYou can’t deny that there are more phones with camera capabilities than the camera alone. Are Smartphone and iPhone photography good enough? What are the advantages of smartphones and iPhones as compared to other cameras? What are the limitations of smartphones and iPhones? iPhone and SmartPhone photography is a subset of photography iPhone and SmartPhone … Continue reading Smartphone and iPhone photography good enough | 2 day photography Workshop Singapore
- 5 Housekeeping Tips For Adobe Lightroom | 2 Day Photography Workshop Singapore5 Housekeeping Tips For Adobe Lightroom | 2 Day Photography Workshop Singapore Before there was Adobe Lightroom, I kept my images in multiple hard drives and folders. Adobe Lightroom helped me to organise and edit my images since 2006. Over the years, my images accumulated. I believe that if you have 100,000 images now, and … Continue reading 5 Housekeeping Tips For Adobe Lightroom | 2 Day Photography Workshop Singapore
- 2 Tips for Low Light Photography At Dusk and Dawn For Wildlife | 2 Day Photography Workshop Singapore2 Tips for Low Light Photography At Dusk and Dawn For Wildlife | 2 Day Photography Workshop Singapore When light is fading at dusk, most photographers will turn up the ISO to a higher ISO to gain light. However, higher ISO creates noise. Here are 2 Tips for Low Light Photography At Dusk and Dawn … Continue reading 2 Tips for Low Light Photography At Dusk and Dawn For Wildlife | 2 Day Photography Workshop Singapore
- Incredible India @ 60 Singapore | Photo ExhibitionIncredible India @ 60 Singapore | Photo Exhibition Incredible India @ 60 Singapore was a celebration to commemorate the 60th anniversary of India’s Independence in 2008 which was held in Singapore. The event was an extraordinary cultural diversity outreach from India to Singapore with the best of Indian performers and artists, literally air-flown into Singapore … Continue reading Incredible India @ 60 Singapore | Photo Exhibition
- Macro Photography Singapore | 2 Day Photography Workshop SingaporeMacro Photography Singapore | 2 Day Photography Workshop Singapore I first stumbled into macro and close-up photography in Singapore in around 1987. I had a simple film camera and 28-70mm Tamron zoom lens that I used to take macro and close-up photography.I was amazed by what the camera could do and started to explore nature … Continue reading Macro Photography Singapore | 2 Day Photography Workshop Singapore
- 2 Hours A Week In Nature is key Dose for Health and Wellbeing | 2 Day Photography Workshop Singapore2 Hours A Week in Nature is key Dose for Health and Wellbeing | 2 Day Photography Workshop Singapore According to Science News, research led by the University of Exeter in England, spending at least 2 hours a week in nature may be a crucial threshold for promoting health and well being. It has been … Continue reading 2 Hours A Week In Nature is key Dose for Health and Wellbeing | 2 Day Photography Workshop Singapore
- Photographing Hornbill in Wild SingaporePhotographing Hornbill in Wild Singapore The Pied Hornbill is native to the island of Singapore but population had declined to the point of local extinction in the 60’s. In the early 90’s, nest box breeding program was introduced at Pulau Ubin ( a nearby island) by NPark to study and breed the Pied Hornbill. I … Continue reading Photographing Hornbill in Wild Singapore
- The Old and New Landscape of China Town Singapore | 2 Day Photography Workshop SingaporeThe Old and New Landscape of China Town Singapore | 2 Day Photography Workshop Singapore The Old and New Landscape of China Town Singapore can be seen here with the 50 storeys Pinnacle @ Duxton, completed in 2009, and 100 year conservation houses in the foreground along both sides of the street. The Pinnacle is … Continue reading The Old and New Landscape of China Town Singapore | 2 Day Photography Workshop Singapore
John is a photographer and educator based in Singapore who has keen interest and passion for nature and photography.
Graduated with Master of Science in Engineering. Worked 20 years in Multi-national Corporations on IT for Asia Pacific.
Attended master class at Brooks Institute of Photography in California.
Participated in the BBC Wildlife Photo Symposium in London.
Awarded with Associateship from the Royal Photography Society (RPS) in London in 1992..
Awarded ” Best of Decade Award” in photojournalism from Asian Geographic Magazine in 2009.
Back then he wished he had a mentor to guide him. John decided to share his experience and skills with others since 1987 at the NUS Extramural Singapore..
Get new content delivered directly to your inbox.